The Mentoring Workshop 2023:
Contacts and Accommodation
June 11-13, 2023
University of Missouri
For those who are flying, Columbia Regional (COU) is the nearest airport. You can take a taxi or Uber from there to the University. It’s a small airport, so flights and times are limited; book a flight as soon as you can! The alternative (which may be less expensive) is to fly to St. Louis (STL) and take a shuttle (door-to-door) from there. The shuttle must be reserved at least 24 hours in advance. Basic roundtrip for the shuttle, booked online, is $135.
See https://www.moexpress.com/mox_ml/Pricing.aspx. There are special rates for groups, so if people are flying in and out at the same time, and can coordinate reservations, the fare will be less expensive. Children under 3 are free, but you will need your own car seat, and you need to let them know you will be traveling with a child so there is a seat available.
We are asking you to arrange your own transportation to and from the airport, but I’m providing an access point to do so. If you would like to arrange ridesharing or a group shuttle amongst yourselves to save on costs, please use the button below to provide your contact information in the ridesharing spreadsheet-to be used to get in touch with each other. Someone will need to take the lead on shuttle arranging if a number of you are arriving at STL, as shuttle reservations require 48-hours notice.
Carol Hay: 617-784-9975
Nico Orlandi: 919-260-0233
Alice MacLachlan: 416-737-6249
Claire Horisk (Local Host): 573-268-5155
Tieying Zhou (Local Host): 573-953-1321
Working Group Room Assignments
Epistemology, Social Epistemology, and Philosophy of Science, Strickland Hall 113
Philosophy of Mind, Strickland Hall 115
Ethics, Strickland Hall 304
Moral Psychology, Strickland Hall 305
Philosophy of Gender, Strickland Hall 306
Oppression Theory, MU Student Center 2206 A/B
Political and Legal Philosophy, Strickland Hall 309
Bioethics, Strickland Hall 311
Continental Philosophy, MU Student Center 2204 (Note: Will be held in Student Centter 2206C on Monday, 6/12, during the 1:30pm block)
Strickland Hall 307 and 313: These rooms will be available from 4 pm to 7 pm on Sunday, and 8 am to 5 pm on Monday and Tuesday.
MU Student Center G108: If you need to use the lactation room on Sunday, ask Tieying for the key; on Monday and Tuesday it will be open from 8 am to 6 pm, no key required.
Strickland Hall, WGST Suite, Room 345: Available on Monday and Tuesday from 8 am to 5 pm.
Workshop Location Map
Local Cafés, Restaurants, and Grocery Stores
On-campus—no cash accepted:
- Infusion – Hours on Sunday 7:45 am to 2:00 pm, on weekdays 8:00 am to 4:00 pm. MU Student Center (1st Floor), 901 Rollins St.
- Starbucks – Closed on Sunday, open weekdays 7:30 am to 3:00 pm. Memorial Union- Memorial Union (1st Floor), 518 Hitt St.
Off-campus—please check opening hours online:
- Starbucks 304 S 9th St.
- Shortwave Coffee Locally owned. 29 S 9th St; 915 Alley A.
- Lakota Coffee Locally owned. 24 S 9th St.
Restaurants—see links for detailed opening hours, menus, and pricing.
This is an incomplete list of locally-owned restaurants in walking distance of campus. There are also lots of inexpensive chain restaurants—Chipotle, Noodles and Co., Subway, and the like downtown; and there’s a restaurant in the Broadway Hotel. There are others that would require a car or Uber—check online.
- Addison’s Grill Burgers, sandwiches, salads. Closed Mondays. 709 Cherry St.
- The Heidelberg Long-established college town bar/restaurant. Closed Mondays. 410 S 9th St.
- Shakespeare’s Pizza 225 S 9th St.
- Big Mama Chims Noodle House Thai. 905 Alley A.
- Booche’s Long-established college town bar/restaurant/billiards. Closed Sundays. 110 S 9th St.
- Günter Hans Mostly German, has a bar. Closed Mondays and Tuesdays. 7 Hitt St.
- El Fogón Veracruzano Mexican. Closed Mondays. 923 E Broadway.
- India’s House Indian. Closed Mondays. 1101 E Broadway.
- Tellers Gallery & Bar Burgers, wraps, pizza, cocktails. Closed Sundays. 820 E Broadway.
- Sparky’s Homemade Ice Cream Local ice cream. 21 S 9th St.
- Sycamore Restaurant Bistro. 800 E. Broadway. Closed Sundays.
- Uprise Bakery Soup, sandwiches, etc. as well as coffee; has a bar; features indie cinema, Ragtag. Does not serve dinner. 10 Hitt St.
- Broadway Brewery Farm-to-table. 816 E. Broadway.
- Flatbranch Pub & Brewing Sandwiches, burgers. 115 S. 5th St.
- Glenn’s Café Southern cooking. 29 S. 8th Street.
- Goldie’s Bagels Jewish-American. Breakfast and lunch only, closed Mondays. 114 S. 9th St.
- Sake Japanese Bistro and Bar Japanese, sushi. 16 N. 10th St.
- 44 Canteen Tacos. 21 N. 9th St.
- International Tap House Does not serve food, but you can bring your own. 308 S 9th St.
- Top Ten Wines Does not serve food. 111 S. 9th St.
- Dogmaster Distillery Does not serve food. 210 St. James St.
- Mizzou Market – MU Student Center (1st Floor), 901 Rollins St.
- Hitt Mini Mart – 111 Hitt St.
- Essentialz CoMo – 15 S 10th St.
- EatWell 111 S Providence Rd.
- Walgreens 222 E Broadway.
- MKT Rails-to-trails, access at Flatbranch Park or corner of Providence and Stewart Roads. Recommended for daytime use only.
- Stankowski Field 1/3 mile running track. 810 Tiger Ave.
Mostly clustered on Broadway and 9th Street.